Saturday, July 21, 2007

"Premonition"

Well I have decided to add DVD rentals to my blog. I know that there are thousands of you out there that are just like me. You may catch a preview of a movie on TV and said to yourself. Nah, I'll just wait for the DVD to come out. OK so this is the first DVD rental I am reviewing , and I must admit I did pick a good one.

"Premonition " staring Sandra Bullock, was not a movie I figured would be worth paying the $8.00 - $10.00 it would cost to go see it in the big theater, but for sure would be worth the $3.00 rental fee. I'm happy to say this was exactly the outcome. I was very happy I did not pay the big bucks, but happy that I did rent it.

I've have always been a Sandra fan, and she does a pretty good job with her latest project. There is just something pure about her, like the girl next door look, but yet has a beauty unto herself that is undeniable. But I digress. Director Mennan Yapo seems to have a good eye for catching a seen in the right light and mood, as well as set an overall tone of mystery to each scene as it unfolds. I must admit I was quite caught off guard with the musical score. I am finding out that even a mediocre movie can be kicked up a notch to a actual "good" movie status by just adding the right music. The overall main chanting music is haunting and mood setting. The build up sound effects and music take a good scene and make it a great scene.

As the main character Linda Hanson, seems to shift from one time zone to another, each piece of the puzzle is slowly revealed, building to what you might think is an obvious ending. Predictability in movies these days is painfully boring, and in most cases leave you thinking "I wish I could have got a hold of the script and helped the poor writers that fumbled the ball yet once again." Thankfully the "ball" in this movie is not completely dropped outright, and the ending of the movie is surprisingly UN obvious, and leaves you with a tear of sorrow, and a tear of joy all in the same breath.

In many movies, the directors involved like to tie some kind of meaning or lesson to their work. In many cases the lesson is never learned and almost always forgotten as soon as you leave the theater, or in this case, turn off the DVD player. I am most happy to say that, the meaning or lesson in this movie is not lost. It is a powerful message to all of the married room mates out there that started married life in love, but soon after lose track of what is important in life. When this movie ends, if you are not seriously doing the "once over" of your marriage or current relationship, then you have missed an important part of this movie.

If you are looking for a good movie to watch this next weekend, with the lights turned down and a big bowl of pop corn, this is your movie. Don't catch yourself trying to second guess this one, just let it happen, and go along for the ride, and you will not be disappointed.

My rating for this movie is 7.50 out of 10.00


No comments: