Saturday, July 28, 2007

"Shopgirl"

When I first started my blog, I knew the day would quickly come where I would have to give a movie or book a bad review. Today is that day. This movie has obviously been out for a while now, but I personally did not even know the movie existed. Unfortunately I now know why.

When the name "Steve Martin" is dropped I always stop and listen. I could not count how many times in my life I have found myself laughing to the point of no breath left in my lungs at Steve Martin's Antics, all be it his stand up comedy, his early movies "The Jerk" and later on his character in "The Three Amigos" and even his semi serious but still funny roles in "Father of the Bride", and my favorite movie of his "All of Me." Throughout his history as an actor he of course has had his fair share of flops, drops, and bad acting parts, but "Shopgirl" I think is now his official worst movie yet.

Steve Martin plays a rich entrepreneur who sets his eyes on a troubled and lonely girl who works in a shopping booth selling expensive gloves. He buys a pair at her booth, then sends them to her asking her for a date. The bad acting continues as the plot grows more strange as a wanna be musician, loser, played by Jason Schwartzman is thrown into the mix as a desperate love interest to the lead in this movie Mirabelle played by Claire Danes.

The wanna be musician Jeremy, lucks into hitting the road with a touring band, and then from there plays only in short clips for the rest of the movie, as the director Anand Tucker badly tries to keep his role some where in the back of your mind, to do what is only obvious at the end of the movie.

Steve Martin's acting is poor at best. Claire does an OK job with what little of a role she has to play, but in the long run, the poor story line takes whatever small amount of good acting by anybody in the movie, and totally erases it from your mind. The romance between Steve Martin's character Ray Porter, and Mirabelle drones on, and in the end what is suppose to be a happy ending is even more of a joke, then the acting.

My final and only good comment about this movie strangely enough is the sound track. For no apparent reason, the music is absolutely fantastic. It is haunting, moving, romantic, painful, and play full some times all in the same scene. I think my time would have been better spent, just buying the sound track, then watching the movie.

My rating for this movie is 5.50 out of 10.00

I usually leave a link to buy the movie or book at the end of my reviews, but I truly hope that no one will ever waste there time watching this movie. If you want to see one of the funniest movies ever made, staring Steve Martin, go rent or buy "All of me"

No comments: