Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer"

This review is a long time in coming since I saw the movie in the theater several weeks ago, but for those of you who have not seen it, you can mark this one down as one you need to rent or buy for sure when it comes out on DVD.

There have been so many comic book re-makes that have come out of Hollywood over the past 20 years, I've completely lost count. Some of them turned out to be good, others just OK, and in rare instances, some were bad.

As a kid growing up, I myself was not into comic books much, but I had heard of the fantastic Four, and I do remember watching a few cartoons based off of the series. I didn't think much of them at the time, but for some reason, Hollywood got it right with this one. The chemistry of this group of actors works well together, and I think they managed to even improve upon themselves with this second release "Rise of the silver surfer."

One of my very favorite movie series is the "Matrix" movies, and in this Fantastic Four movie, the voice of the Silver surfer, is none other then Morpheus himself, Laurence Fishburne. He just has this voice that for some reason just fits the character.

The story outline for this movie wound up being a lot more fun, and cataclysmic then I had expected. The silver surfer's end role in this plot turned out much different as well. I can't go into detail for those of you who have not seen it yet, but lets just say "expect the unexpected."

There are a lot of great special effects as one would expect from this type of movie, and there are a lot of funny scenes as the hero's run into problems with their "powers" when some how, they manage to trade powers by simply coming into contact with each other. The "Thing" trading powers with "Johnny Storm" was particularly funny.

Keeping Tim Story as the director for this second installment of the Fantastic Four was a good move, and I really don't see any reason why they could not continue on with this series and be just as successful as some of the other comic book series that have had three, and even four movies made, as long as they keep the cast, and director in place. Change any of the aforementioned, and Hollywood could quickly end up with a huge flop on their hands.

All in all this was a fun movie for anyone to watch, and I expect huge sales for the DVD when it is released, but if you can still catch it on the big screen I recommend doing so.

My rating for this movie is 8.00 out of 10.00

No comments: