Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"Christ the Lord"

I recently had the pleasure of reading a book that took me completely by surprise, so I thought I would share with you all, and hopefully you might check it out. Regardless of whether you are “Religious” or not, this book still makes for a fantastic read.

Up until just recently when someone spoke of Ann Rice, the first thing that came to mind was one of my favorite movies, “Interview with a vampire.” To me this movie was truly a masterpiece. The pageantry, the acting, the sets, the story, all just great, and of course I had heard of other vampire and witch books that Ann had written, and because I had enjoyed Interview with a vampire so much, I had promised myself that someday I would read some of her books and see how they came across written instead of acted.

While browsing through my local book store, I stumbled across the section of books with Ann Rice in it, and I started to peek at the different covers trying to decide which book to start with, when a particular title caught my eye. “Christ the Lord.” I thought to myself, this must have been placed in the wrong section, this is for sure not something written by Ann Rice. I picked the book up and noticed it was in fact written by Ann, so I read a little more information about the book, and it captured my attention enough to make it the first Ann Rice Novel I have ever bought.

“Christ the Lord” is the story of Jesus as a child between the ages of around 7 years old; up until I think he is about 13 years of age. Some would read this and dismiss the book quickly, but there is a different twist to the book that when you stop to really think about it, it grabs you by the shirt collar. The book is written in first person, in other words, Jesus, as a child is telling the story!

Stop and ponder that just for a moment. As adults, the magical world that exits in a child’s eyes has long since been blinded. The ugly truth about life has been revealed. There is no Santa Claus, no Easter Bunny, you have to work for a living, and play time is no more, and so on. The problem with this is that there is no going back. We can no longer see the world through the eyes of a child knowing what we all know, so with this simple and painful fact, writing a first person account of a child would be difficult at best. Not only does Ann write this book in a masterful way through the eyes of a child, but she does it through the eyes of JESUS CHRIST! I don’t know what else to say. This is a masterpiece.

The story itself is a bit dry if you are not at least the smallest bit religious or were at one point in your life, but the details Ann goes into with regards to the historical facts, places, events of the time during the life of Christ is exceptional. Her research is more in depth then any writer I have read. To say that the book was written with historical accuracy would be a ridiculous understatement. “Christ our Lord” was without a doubt one of the best books I have read this year, and I highly recommend it.


My rating for this book is 8.50 out of 10.00


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very interested for this post.This site is so helpful. So i want some information for sharing this side with some of my friend. Thanks!