Monday, July 16, 2007

Dean Koontz "Velocity"

For those of you who read and enjoy Dean Koontz this review is for you.


Several years back, I was in the middle of a Stephen King novel, and I remember having a hard time not falling asleep as each chapter was read. For whatever reason Stephen was just not cutting the mustard anymore and I knew I needed to start exploring other Authors. I borrowed a Dean Koontz book from a friend ("Intensity") and that is all it took. I was hooked. Since then, I've read probably twenty or so books from Mr. Koontz. "Velocity" was my most recent book.

The main character in this book is a bartender named Billy Wiles. He is a former writer, but has lost the will to write after his Finance' ends up stuck in a hospital room comatose. She speaks a few words or phrases on occasion. Billy visits her on a regular basis, taking record of everything she says in hopes of trying to figure out if his love is truly still "In there" some where. His life is turned upside down one evening when he leaves the tavern he works for, and finds a note on his windshield from a sick individual leaving him an ultimatum. A young woman who is a school teacher, or and elderly humanitarian woman. One will die by the end of the evening, and It is Billy's choice as to which one. Thinking this is a joke, Billy of course does nothing, only to find out the next day that a young schoolteacher has been strangled.

This is the only the beginning of a twisted tale, that has many nail biting, and edge your seat moments. Dean Koontz is a master of putting you in the actual scene as the events unfold. You find yourself almost tearing the pages off the book, trying to turn them, but not able to turn them fast enough.

There is a single problem with this particular book, and this problem is not confined to just this particular book from Mr. Koontz. Character building has never been a problem, and the main plot of the story has never been a problem. Unfortunately, as the finish line to comes into view, you find yourself foaming at the mouth, and looking forward to this explosive and fantastic ending, only to be deflated, like a balloon who's knot has just been untied. I'm really not sure why Mr. Koontz seems to fall flat on his face when it comes to the ending of his books, but this is a reoccurring problem. Some how he just simply runs out of steam, and the ending to these stories just do not live up to power of the plots.

Now let me end this review on a positive note. Not all of Dean Koontz books leave you deflated. I would guess that only three out of every ten books he writes has this problem, and what is more, the "meat and potato's" of the books that do have bad endings, are so enthralling, that you find yourself almost forgiving the Author for botching the ending. I can honestly say that there is not a single book I've read by Dean Koontz so far that I would NOT recommend to some one. He is a fantastic, and prolific writer and I look forward every evening to cracking the latest novel from him.

I've decided to add a "rating scale" to all of my movie and book reviews from this point forward, for those of you who are just looking for the quick fix.

"Velocity" is a very good book, but not his best work, so my rating for this one is 7.5 out of 10.00

Here is a link to Dean Koontz's official web site.

http://www.deankoontz.com/




No comments: