Monday, July 16, 2007

"Battlestar Galactica"

OK this review is for those of you Sci-Fi fans out there who have for one reason or another, have not been told about this series, or who have been told and still not bothered to try it on for size.

Myself, I have been a Sci-Fi fan since I was a kid watching re-runs of the original Star Trek, and Twilight Zone, and later even the original Battle Star series, but even though I had heard about the new Battle Star, I just did not take the talk seriously. I'm probably going to be shot on sight, but I myself just finally bought into the hype, and watched my first episode about a month ago. A month later and I am all the way through season three! This show is PURE addiction at its best.


This series has absolute genius writers, as well as set designers, CG designers, and one of the best working large scale casts ever assembled. So many of the more popular made for TV series have had a small cast of four to ten cast members, and about 90% of those fail. Battle Star Galactica has a cast of what has to be close or more then thirty characters, and each and every single one brings something good, bad (in a good way), or interesting to the show.


Since the show is on its fourth season, trust me when I give you the basic run down of the show, that I am in no way blowing any surprises. The story starts with what has become a pretty typical plot. Man creates robots, robots rebel. NOTHING is typical about this variation of this plot. Man creates robots, robots rebel, robots create human robots that are undetectable as anything other then real humans, and then some of these "human robots" are programmed to not know they are robots (Cylon's). Robots destroy the human race with the exception of some 50,000 survivors who are all in a fleet of space ships traveling the universe in search of.....(get this)...Earth, while trying to escape being destroyed by the Cylon race. This right off the bat should give you enough information to twist your brain, and make you run out and rent the first season.


Let me put this just as simple as I can put it. In a world of Sci-Fi movies, and TV shows, Battlestar Galactica is one of the best ever made in history. Some of you may be sitting there saying, "This guy is just some Star Trek nerd and probably wouldn't know a good show if he saw one." While the first part of that statement may be true, the second is NOT. I can not go into detail of the episodes, but the plot, and continuing story line in this series is intriguing, thought provoking, mind bending, and one hundred percent enthralling. Just when you think they can not possibly blow you away again, BAM, your laying on the floor going "Uh what happened?"


Unfortunately, season three is not yet available for rental or purchase, but it must be in the works. Now here is some good news. I-tunes has them for download via the Internet for only $1.99 per episode, so if you run through the first and second season as fast as I did, and are frothing at the mouth for season three, visit I-tunes and get them on your computer.


My rating for this series is 9.50 out of 10.00


Here is the link for the official web site.
http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

No comments: