Monday, July 16, 2007

"Transformers"

Strap your seat belt boys and girls of all ages! Hollywood has done it again. This last statement is a good thing and a bad thing. Let me start with the good. This is a fun, fast paced movie, with action from front to back. CGI continues to develop by leaps and bounds with every movie that comes out now, and this movie does not disappoint.

When I first heard about "Transformers" I was a total skeptic. I remember the cartoon series from the 1980's and for the most part I wrote it off as another blunder remake. Hollywood as a whole has completely lost all sight and anything original. Everything must be based on something else. A cartoon, comic book, book, or worse yet, a remake of an original movie from years gone by, so it goes without saying that a remake of a cartoon did not interest me in the least. As the hype of the movie began, and the previews of the movie began to creep into the movie theaters, I was even more of a skeptic. Even knowing the Almighty Steven Spielberg was attached to this project did not convince me this would be anything but a kids movie with a few good action sequences to try and keep the adults bringing the children to the movie theaters attention.

Well I am happy to say that not only did it keep THIS adults attention, but I found myself caught up in the plot, and enjoying every aspect of this movie. The computer graphics were of course some of the best ever seen, but what I did not expect was for the story line to actually be worth a hoot. There even turns out to be a relationship of sorts developed between one of the main characters, and one of the autobots. There even several scenes that are down right funny!

As with any review I must point out the bad as well as the good so here we go. Hollywood has recently started what I can only call a bad trend in regards to the actions sequences in almost all of the blockbuster type movies. This trend is where during any particular scene where the action is moving at its fastest pace, even on the huge screens that are in the movie theaters these days, you can not keep pace! The scenes come at you so fast that the brain just can not process the information fast enough, and what is suppose to be a fantastic action shot, you are left with nothing more then a blur until the scene finally slows back down or zooms out enough for you to catch up. I am not sure if the makers of these movies have caught on to this problem yet, but it is highly disappointing. In Transformers, there are several of these extremely high tech transforming robots that can change their appearance on the fly (In some cases literally) and the changes, along with the action sequence itself, just ends up being to confusion.

OK enough with the bad. All things considered here, I was completely surprised to find that Transformers is a fun movie, with great special effects, and some funny interactions between the humans and the robots. It is worth going to see in the theater for sure. See it with your date, or take the kids, its fun for all ages!

My rating for this movie is 8.00 out of 10.00

Here is the link for the official movie website.

http://www.transformersmovie.com/


No comments: